I want to generate a cold wallet very securely without having to buy a new computer that will always be offline and while I am waiting for a hardware wallet on back order.
Please validate and/or challenge my thinking here I am new to ETH and digital currencies:
- Download some lightweight linux distro & Github Ethereum to run offline
- Turn computer offline
- Install the lightweight linux distro onto USB
- Turn off computer and boot from USB
- Put Github Ethereum onto running linux using second USB port
- Generate ETH account
- Store private key and creds on the linux distro USB
- Make 1-2backups of the private key/creds on separate encrypted USB keys
Is this overkill? Are there gaps in this approach if my computer is already compromised?
Interested to hear your thoughts.