This is a general question and answer on ethereum.stackexchange.com to all "I got scammed, please help" posts.
This applies to you if you think:
- You have been scammed
- You think something might be a scam
Popular scams include
- Fake investment sites promising xx% returns
- Romance scams a.k.a. pig butchering scams
- Token tax and honey pot tokens: tokens you can only buy, not sell
- Scam tokens dropped to your wallet leading to phishing sites
- Reclaim crypto scams that claim to get your scammed money back, after you have been scammed once
- Password recovery and private key recovery scams that claim to restore the access to your account or wallet
These are so-called authorised transfer scams. As opposite to the hacks, the users voluntarily transfer away their money with their our authorisation.
Outside scams, there exist other cybercrime that may cause you to lose your assets
- Phishing links, including:
- Fake airdrops
- Fake NFT mints
- Usually associated with a hacked, well-known social media account or Discord
- Malware esp. on Microsoft Windows desktop computers directly extracts the private key from the wallet
- Your computer gets infected with a malware when you install pirated software or random EXE files from Internet
This is a generic question to address the flood of pleads of asking help for scams. Moderators are free to edit both the question and answer to add more information it.