The question title at this point in time is really frustrating. But the background of asking this question is:
I am completely new to Blockchain and wanted to know how Blockchain and Ethereum relate to each other?
The more I google about What is Blockchain, I get the same demonstration like:
- What does a block contains
- How blocks are linked by hash
- How it is secured
- How it is compared to Mysql and so on
What I wanted to figure out is:
- If Blockchain is a set of tools that I need to set up in my server so that I can use this blockchain to create Apps. More simply: Is Blockchain a set of downloadable and installable tools? How can I create my own Blockchain in my local environment?
- Is Blockchain actually a concept/Specification something like RFC so that it is implemented by different software projects like Ethereum or Hyperledger?
The definition of Ethereum is more confusing for a beginner. I found myriads of different definitions on the web. For example:
- Ethereum is a blockchain
- Ethereum is a blockchain protocol
- Ethereum is a framework
- Ethereum is an OS
I don't know how to fit them altogether to get a solid definition. I just want to be clear about which stands where and with which definition?
I think this question and answers that will be provided here will help lots of people to remove their confusion